Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Alcohol, dieting, and more...

Well, the heat is finally upon us. I have the AC on that pretty much 24 hours a day now and it isn't even the end of April. So, what's new?

It looks like in the last month or so the law changed regarding local Muslims and drinking alcohol. Before, any Arab in a thobe (that's the long white robes arabs wear) were not allowed to be served alcohol in hotels. Now, hotels are allowed to serve the so when you go to the bar you see a number of men in thobes having beer and whiskeys. While unusual for Qatar this is not unique to the Gulf region, Arabs can drink in Bahrain, Dubai and Oman. As for Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, alcohol is completely banned so I doubt there will be any change to the laws soon.

A friend of mine in my carpool group just got himself a new vehicle so today we drove in to work in a Nissan Armada. That had to be the biggest vehicle I've ever been in short of a bus or airplane. Absolutely huge! I guess that's the advantage of having gas at $.19 a liter, everyone can afford to drive these massive vehicles. I must admit it was a very luxurious ride especially since I'm driving a Honda city.

No trips planned for the near future though I might be heading to Dubai or Oman in the near future on business. Will keep you posted.

In other news, I have discovered a new way to ensure that my social calendar is filled up with plenty of lunches and dinners and invites to barbecues -- announcing you're on a diet! Seriously, I announced a few days ago that I was going on a diet to try to lose weight and in the last week I've gone out to four different lunches, three dinners, a barbecue, and will be going out to dinner on Saturday. Oh, and today we have a big staff lunch. Try this trick at home.

Later.

2 comments:

James Dunworth said...

I saw the same thing in a bar last year - a lot of people having a drink in the former Sofatel. They seem to have certain hangouts though - I have yet to see people in National dress in any of the Ramada bars.

Glen McKay said...

It is definitely allowed at the Ramada. I've seen guys in thobes at the Orion bar, Shahrazad, and Library Bar.

I spoke to the bartender the Sharq and it is not allowed there. A friend of mine who frequents the Four Seasons said he's never seen guys in thobes drinking there either.