Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Qatar Coronavirus Updates - At 1000 Cases a Day

The wave continues to abate, Qatar is now at around 1000 community cases a day, and about 4% of tests are coming back positive, down from 10% a while ago. Only 175 people are in hospital now, and 62 in ICU. Unfortunately the deaths continue, around 1-2 a day now. I expect that to continue for at least a couple more weeks. Three weeks ago around 600-700 people were hospitalized so it's good that people are recovering and if Qatar could handle 700 people then 175 shouldn't be placing a big strain on the health care system.

I'm still being careful but for most people it seems to be business as usual now. Everyone is out and about, going to restaurants & malls. I am of the view it's still a bit early for that, 1000 cases a day is a lot! Back during the beginning of the pandemic 300-400 cases a day was enough to trigger lockdowns but I guess two years later, and with a milder strain out there, people are just tired I guess. Pandemic fatigue has taken its toll and while people still mask and use the tracking app, I don't see the sense of anxiety about Covid as I used to. Maybe because so many people caught it during this recent wave and have recovered.

Based on how cases are declining I think within a week it'll be below 400 a day and the wave will essentially be over.


 

No comments: