Sunday, December 17, 2006

Asian Games - badminton

Okay badminton is a game that I don't think I need to explain to everyone. The game is popular in East Asia so the matches that I saw had big crowds turning out to cheer on their favourites. Happened to sit behind a bunch of Thais with drums and so forth and they handed out flags to everyone to make sure there would be a big area of Thai supporters. It appeared to make a difference, the Thais with all the drums and flags didn't arrive until the 2nd set and at that point the Thai player lost the first set 21-6, but once the cheers and drumming started the game turned around and the Thai won the 2nd set 21-8. The 3rd set was a nail-biter but in the end the Thai lost 21-19. Afterward I watched some other singles and doubles matches, including a singles match with the current World Champion vs the current Olympic Champion. It was a great match, I can't figure out how they can even spot the birdie, much less return it, since it moves so fast.

Badminton is a fast paced game so is always good to watch. It's even better to see with top players and an active crowd.

Rating 8/10. Go Thailand!

4 comments:

Magnus said...

I actually enjoy playing badminton, but so few people play over here.

Glen McKay said...

Good point, I'm more of a tennis man myself but I think the last time I played badminton was in high school. Reflecting on it, I think it's just because there aren't a lot of gyms for the public to use for that sort of thing, nor leagues promoting it. Winter means hockey y'know.

Magnus said...

Yeah, but badminton can just as easily be played out doors.

Anonymous said...

2010 Asian Games -Guangzhou,Asian Games History,Latest News,Venus, Events ,and Photogallery only at www.asiangames2010.info.