Sunday, December 31, 2006

It's . . . friggin chilly!

After five months of 40+ degree heat (with 80+% humidity) I never figured Doha would ever get the least bit chilly. I was told that during December and January you might need a jacket during the evenings blah, blah, blah. Whatever.

Well, it's friggin chilly right now! I'm told it's colder than it has been in the last few years but temps seem to be around 14-16 during the day and around 9-10 at night. A lot colder than I thought it would get, especially with the wind and humidity. Not surprisingly I don't have central heating in my apartment, the past week I've been wearing layers while sitting around the apartment.

Now I can already hear everyone in Canada moaning "Oh you poor dear, and to think it's a balmy -10 here", but it's not like you expect the Arabian desert to get this cold. And you have heating in your house too, it's not like your house is 15 degrees now is it?

I feel the most sorry for the construction workers and other guys brought over from India etc. I see them walking around in light jackets with scarves wrapped around their heads. Many of them have toques and gloves but some don't - they must be freezing.

Oh well, I'm off to Canada on Jan 6th so I guess I'll get back in touch with what real cold feels like.

4 comments:

Magnus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magnus said...

Since no one else has said it: WUSS.

Glen McKay said...

Hey, the local weather office reported that it's been hitting 8 degrees overnight and there's no heating in my apartment. Cut me some slack here! Today's top story in the newspaper was that every store was sold out of heaters.

Magnus said...

To that I reply: Bundle up buttercup. ;)