Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Car registration - the Finale

[This post contains outdated information, I recommend going to my post of May 21, 2011 for the most recent information about car inspections]

The registration of my car is done and finished! Repairers were finished no problem and at no charge (yay warranty!). A friend of mine told me that the line-up at the testing centre is really short on a weekday morning so I gambled by not making an appointment and just showing up at eight in the morning. I was always under the assumption that you had 30 days after the expiry of your registration to get it renewed but at lunch the other day someone told me it was 20 days, any later than that and you get a QR1000 fine (US $270). Since he told me that on day 18 I figured I'd better turn up at the testing station the next day.

Sure enough there was only three cars ahead of me, and the friendly Algerian clerk was at his desk looking a lot better since he did not have 20 people crowding around him waving papers. I got my paperwork and the car tested in under 15 minutes. The car passed inspection (yay!). So then it was off to the Ministry of Interior desk, conveniently located at the mall across the street from work, where they renew registration cards. Gave him my old registration card, inspection papers, proof of insurance, and QR 100, and was rewarded for all of my time and effort with my brand new vehicle registration card.

And I have to do this rigamarole every year now! I can see why some people just choose to sell their old car and get a new one once their old one is three years old. Would definitely save a lot of hassle.


Anyway the car is okay for another year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my boss has a motorcycle. he needs to renew the registration and the traffic department is asking him for an NOC from the company where he works. what's that?

Glen McKay said...

I think it is a No Objection Certificate. Essentially something from the company stating that they have no objection to the registration.

Nur Mohammad Blog said...

Get quick access to essential vehicle info with the Vehicle Information Card . From VIN numbers to maintenance schedules, stay on top of your car's vital data effortlessly. Stay organized and in control of your automotive needs.