Friday, July 19, 2013

Ramadan 2013 – Day 9, Malaysian Ramadan Bazaar


So I slept in so that I wouldn’t have to have a nap today and hopefully get my sleep schedule back on track. Shortly after the noon prayer was finished my friend Murat called and wanted to meet at a hotel just to chat and while away the time. Like me he prefers not being home since tempting food is within reach so we meet somewhere with good air conditioning where we can sit around. This time we went to the St. Regis Hotel.


We hung out for a couple of hours then I had to go as I wanted to go to the Malaysian Ramadan Bazaar.

Every year during Ramadan the Malaysian Embassy would host a bazaar on the embassy grounds. About 20 tables would be set up by Malays selling home-cooked food. The bazaar is always a great place to stock up on some international food. This year I've not heard any information about it so I asked the Malaysian colleague about the bazaar and she told me it would be today but not at the embassy (maybe because it's too hot outside). This year it would be held at the food court of Hyatt Plaza Mall from 2:30-5:30 and would be held on two Fridays, July 19th and July 26th. So off I went to Hyatt Plaza.

When I got to the food court there was a pretty big crowd:



I wandered around, scanning the tables to see what was on offer. One table had a lineup of about 15 people getting what looked like a chicken curry and rice dish. I didn't want to wait -- I might try that one next week. Otherwise I picked up some food from various tables: what looked like a small beef minisub, some type of rice porridge with some spices in it, and noodle dish with a chicken curry sauce (no I have no idea what the Malaysian names of these dishes were, sorry, I've always been bad with names anyway).

So I took it all home and had a Malaysian iftar:


All told the food was QR 25 ($6.75) which I think is a pretty good deal.

If you missed it today you can go next Friday. I probably will.

No comments: