Thursday, December 03, 2015

Miswak


Some years ago I posted about miswak, a type of twig that people in the Middle East in North Africa use for cleaning teeth. Here’s a recap of how it works:



Get some miswak, available at almost every pharmacy and, I think, in some shops in souqs.




Remove the bark from one end so that the strands in the center of the twig are exposed.




Rub on your teeth. Try to get some bristles in-between the teeth as well.

It was a weird feeling, something I’m not sure I could get used to. There’s definitely some kinds of chemicals in the bristles as I could feel, I don’t know, a spicy sensation? Anyway, it was odd.

Even now many Arabs use miswak to clean their teeth instead of a toothbrush and toothpaste so I guess it was only a matter of time . . .



Yep, miswak toothpaste. Available in supermarkets in Qatar. But why myrrh as well? Anyway I didn’t buy it, was kind of afraid of what it would taste like. Maybe I’ll get a small tube and try it next time I’m in the store.

I’m going to guess you’re not going to find Colgate selling it in North America or Western Europe.

No comments: