Saturday, March 31, 2007

Musings on losing weight

For the last little while I've been on a diet. The telltale sign that I needed to lose weight was that my Bermuda Shorts, which fit me when I arrived here, now cannot even be closed around my waist - a sign that I've been putting on a few pounds since I've been here. Actually everyone calls it the "Doha 2 inches", something that appears to happen to everyone who moves here. It's not too surprising that it happens, with the heat and distances between places you pretty much have to drive everywhere, and with the heat 6 months of the year you absolutely have to drive everywhere. Excercise becomes limited to gyms.

So I've been cutting back on the sweet stuff and trying to hit the treadmill every day. After three weeks results look promising - the shorts now fit. Very tight, but they fit. My aim is to get to the point where I need a belt to keep them on. I don't know exactly what my weight is, I'm using the shorts as a measure instead of worrying about pounds/kg.

This has made me understand how hard it can be to lose weight. Just the other day I hit the treadmill, showered, went to a cafe for a coffee, then proceeded to order a monster-sized chocolate pudding along with it. All the while the back of my mind was going "don't do it!" but I did anyway. What in the world was I thinking? That was the entire treadmill session nullified right there. To make up for it dinner was severly low-cal (carrots, some other raw vegs, whole wheat bread) but I can't be eating dinners like that forever. Willpower is easier said than done.

But the shorts fit now! Just gotta keep the program going.

No comments: