Saturday, April 07, 2007

Kayaking

Today was a beautiful day out, sunny and not too dusty, so I figured I'd follow up on an invitation to an afternoon lunch to welcome Mark Evans as he approached the Doha Corniche. Mark kayaks around the coastlines of various countries to make money for charity. He recently kayaked around Oman and now he's going around Qatar. I wanted to attend his talk last Wednesday (I'm a member of the Qatar Natural History Group) but unfortunately couldn't make it. The photos of the Omani coastline were supposed to be spectacular.

I'm skeptical that the photos of the Qatar coastline will be as interesting. Oman has mountains and intesting valleys leading into the sea. Qatar is very flat. Seriously flat. Oh well, gotta go with what you're given I guess.

The kayak tour is getting a lot of local media attention. When he arrived at the restaurant on the Corniche there were 2 TV crews and about half-a-dozen photographers. He kayaked up, got out, did some interviews, then everyone there had lunch at the restaurant before he got back in the kayak to continue on his way.

All in all a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Good luck Mark!

No comments: