Saturday, October 25, 2008

Finance and water

Geez has it been two weeks since my last update?? Sorry about that folks.

Just a quick bit on the Global Financial Crisis. I admit I do have a couple of mutual funds that invest in a wide range of stocks and bonds. So how are they doing? I have no clue. You see, I have not even looked at what they are worth now. What would be the point? It would probably just get me depressed. I made those investments with long-term intentions like retirement, and that won't be for probably 20 years. So it is just a matter of holding on to them and hoping that they eventually rebound. I am fairly confident that everything will be fine in a few years.

My sympathies are more of those who have retired or are about to retire. The most pivotal part of retirement planning is how much money/assets you have. Suddenly the projections of how much retirement income a person has would be completely thrown out the window. People about to retire now probably planning to hang on and work a few more years -- if they keep their job, and if they lose their job I don't think it is very easy for a retiree-age person to get a new one. People who have just retired are now in real trouble as their income will likely be much lower. Retirees could be in real trouble for the next few years and with current financial systems taking a real hit I'm not sure what extent the governments can assist them. It will likely be a major issue for western governments.



In other news, Qatar has announced steep penalties and fines for wasting drinking water, including washing your car. This brings up an interesting question of where all the water comes from, after all Qatar is a desert. Well most if not all the water comes from desalination plants, which provide an impressive amount of water considering there is now over a million people in the country. There are no rivers or lakes in Qatar and since the highest point in the country is something like 70m I doubt there are extensive underground aquifers either. Some underground water must exist -- no one could have historically lived in this country otherwise, but I doubt it is much.

So why am I mentioning this? Because as part of the new law regarding wasting water it is okay to get your car washed at a service station or car wash business. This is strange to me as the amount of water used at the car wash station would be a heck of a lot more than individual just washing his car with a bucket. And I thought everyone got their water from the same source so what water are they using anyway?? Sounds to me like this new law is more to support car washes then save water resources. Maybe there is a powerful "car wash" lobby here.

3 comments:

James Dunworth said...

Actually, there does seem to be a surpising amount of ground water here. I have seen building sites where holes have been dug for foundations get full up of water very quickly. And why it is normally very dry, they seemed to get enough rain in 2006 to last them for several years!

Unknown said...

Hi Glen,
I am sure it will be warmer then -0 in Doha. (smile)
I plan on being there for 6weeks so hopefully in Feb it will be better then whatever Jan will test me with. I do plan on taking an electric heater with me, as I have read that it will be warmer outside then inside the apartment.

I am a smoker and would like to take my own brand of smokes with me, approx 6 cartons. Will this be a problem at either airports. They will be packed with my belongings going under the plane. I am sure the smokes in Doha will be stronger then my brand. What is the price of smokes there? My daughter is a nonsmoker so she is not able to answer these questions. She just said to bring 2 empty suitcases as I will be bringing more clothes home.

Finally,,,What do you think of the new president elect Obama ? I think he will be a good change for the Americans.

Take care and as always look forward to your blogs.

Karen

Glen McKay said...

Geez, I've been bad about keeping track of comments . . .

I believe that in many places the groundwater at a building site is seawater that seeped through the sand, at least for places close to the shore. Inland it is likely fresh but if it was plentiful a lot more Qataris could have lived here in the "old days".

And for Karen smokes are apparantly a good deal, around $1.50+ for a 20-pack of Marlboros. (I don't smoke myself). You can get a lot of international brands here, I recall seeing Virginia Slims as well but Marlboros seem to be the most common.

early feb can be cold but why not just get a heater here? By late Feb everything should be fine and no indoor heater should be needed.

As for how much can be brought in I'm sure there are duty limits so 6 cartons is likely too many. What's your brand and I'll check to see if it is here and what price they are.

Obama, hmmm maybe I should do a blog post on that one.