Thursday, May 31, 2012

City Centre Mall



I work in West Bay close to the City Centre Mall and since I didn't have anything pressing to do this evening I decided to go over there after work to see how crowded it would be given that the most popular mall (Villaggio) is now closed. There's only three major malls in Qatar so the closure of one is likely to make the crowds even worse at the others. Not that any of them were suffering for business, City Centre was always notorious for not having enough parking on the weekends. I figured I may as well get an idea of how crowded it's going to be for the next few months so I'm not tempted some weekend evening to go there.

Turns out that while it was crowded, wandering around at 8:00pm I didn't think it was any more crowded than usual. The traffic outside wasn't any worse than usual. The number of people in the mall hadn't significantly increased. Guess people found something else to do.

As I was leaving I noticed that the Traffic Police were wandering around taking photos of any illegally parked cars to issue them tickets, including across the street from the mall and around the nearby skyscrapers. I know the parking situation there is terrible but don't park on the sidewalks people!

2 comments:

scaryazeri said...

Well, finding a carpark space on tuesday morning at landmark was nearly impossible. As for crowds at city centre-a lot of doha mums from what i can tell of their comments are currently very worried about fires and malls and the combination of the above. That will pass.

Glen McKay said...

Hmmmmm, I guess we will have to see how things go over the next month or so. I think City Centre is hampered by the fact that every weekend the parking in and around the mall is at maximum capacity anyway.