Sunday, August 19, 2012

Eid 2012 – Holiday


I’m on vacation now in Turkey. A Turkish friend of mine invited me to his home in the city of Mudanya, on the coast of the Sea of Marmara.





It was a bit of a trip getting here. First we had to fly to Ankara, then take another flight to Istanbul, followed by a bus trip. Because it was Eid weekend the roads were jammed and what would normally take the bus 1½ hours took 4.

This morning is the first day of Eid so we had a traditional Turkish breakfast . . .


Then the day was spent either hosting friends and relatives or going to meet friends and relatives. This is standard for Turks during Eid (as it is with most Muslims). We’re currently at my friend’s house taking a break before heading out to meet his wife’s parents.

Eid Mubarak everyone.

2 comments:

sya said...

eid mubarak :)
what the traditional food in your country?
it look so delicious :)

Glen McKay said...

It's not my country. I'm a Canadian living in Qatar, the pictures are from Turkey.

In Qatar I'm not entirely sure if they have a traditional Eid meal. I suspect if they did it would be sheep on rice, a meal typically served at weddings. Other standard Arabic cuisine would also be served.