Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Another Tremor, April 16, 2013


So I was sitting on the second floor of a building visiting a company when my chair vibrated a little. A colleague was with me and he said, "Hey, my chair is vibrating”.

We figured it was another tremor. Sure enough, alarms went off and people started leaving the building. Most buildings in West Bay evacuated.

Turns out it was a much stronger earthquake but much farther away, a magnitude 7.8 near the Iran-Pakistan border. That we could feel it all the way over here in Qatar was pretty surprising and goes to show just how powerful it was. The damage at the epicenter must be catastrophic.

So another tremor in less than two weeks. This one didn't cause the disorientation and dizziness the last one did but I was on a much lower floor so that could've been a factor. I spoke to a few people from the office and none of them really experienced the dizziness either.

So far there are no reports of injuries or damage in Qatar, which doesn't surprise me given that the vibration was approximately the same as an 18-wheeler driving past.

No comments: