Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Ramadan 2017 - the Ramadan Cannon

Today I went to the Grand Mosque of Qatar, the Imam Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab Mosque.


Beautiful place, I've never been inside as non-Muslims are not allowed inside unless part of an organized tour and I haven't gotten around to signing up for one yet. As an aside, the Mosque was recently in the news as some Saudis object to the name and want Qatar to rename it.


Anyway, in the parking lot of the Mosque, overlooking the city, is the Ramadan Cannon. The army puts one here every year and use it to mark when to end the fast for the day. Lots of people show up, especially families as the soldiers allow kids to climb on the cannon.



As the time approaches they clear everyone away.



They fired the cannon so suddenly I was startled so didn't get a picture! In the past they fired a flare first but this time it was a soldier shouting something then BOOM! I took a snap of the aftermath of smoke enveloping some of the crowd.




The cannon was loud and even though I was much farther back my ears were ringing a little bit for about a minute. Stay farther away or have your fingers in your ears if you plan on visiting.



No comments: