Monday, December 18, 2017

Exploring New Developments in Qatar (thanks to Google Maps)


The other day I was talking with a friend about something and showing him a West Bay location on Google Maps when I noticed a new building that I hadn't seen before. I didn't even realize that there was something being built there.

Google Maps can be really handy. As it periodically updates the map with satellite photos it can be easy to see how things have changed over time. I took some time to explore with maps and found a few interesting things that you might not know about.

Here's an odd one that I found. This is a map of part of the Shammal Highway. At the bottom right corner is the Ezdan Mall area.




Do you see a line of empty land just to the left of the highway? Looks like all the buildings have been cleared out in a long line. Maybe it's for the Metro but my guess is it's for a new road/highway to help relieve congestion on the Shamal.


Here's something I didn't know about when I looked at Education City.



A golf course?! I had heard years and years ago they were going to build one but I didn't hear any more about it so I assumed that it had been stopped. I didn't realize that they did build it.


Off to Lusail now. There's going to be a huge mall there.





Pretty big place. I think it'll be open in 2019.


Finally, there's something happening in Al Khor. On the Corniche they have demolished some buildings to create a large empty space.




I've heard a rumour that this will be "Souq Al Khor". I did a quick internet search and didn't find anything about it, just an article from August that Ashghal will be enhancing the Corniche in Al Khor with parking etc but given the size of the space a souq is a definite possibility.



Sometimes I can't get over just how quickly Qatar is changing. It wasn't all that long ago that most of the things we take for granted (highways, malls, attractions) weren't there a few years ago.


No comments: