Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ramadan 2011 continued

Just a few updates. I forgot to mention that I've also been reading the Qur’an everyday. Traditionally during Ramadan there is a special set of prayers called the Tarawih and during those prayers when will typically read a section of the Qur’an or listen to a recitation of the Qur’an, eventually going through the entire book during the month.

I'm not planning to read the entire thing but am spending a bit of time each day reading it and re-familiarizing myself with some of the requirements. A friend of mine and I are probably going to attend a Tarawih at a mosque later this month just so I can listen to a recitation.

I also forgot to mention that, like last year, I haven't had any alcohol during Ramadan. While here in Qatar all the bars are closed throughout the month of Ramadan I could have a drink if I wanted to as I have plenty here at home; I think it's always a good thing to take a break from drinking just to make sure it's not becoming an issue. If you find yourself really desiring a drink after a few days then it may indicate a problem. I've never been a heavy drinker so thankfully going without alcohol has been fine.

Otherwise I've been either hosting Iftars at my apartment or going to a friend’s place. Here was the most recent one:


Last night I also went out to a nice shisha place in town to relax during the evening. This place needs reservations in advance but when we arrived at 9:30 it was practically empty, it didn't start filling up until 11.


I'm also managing to get exercise here and there, this evening I was out playing squash again. My Qatari friend Adel and I usually try to play at least once a week:





I’m sure I’ll have more exciting updates this weekend.

_

No comments: