Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Qatar Stars League


In all the years I’ve lived in Qatar I never really followed the soccer league (henceforth I will call it ‘football’ since I’m not in North America). I have a team, Al Sadd, as they play in the neighbourhood I first lived in when I arrived in Qatar, and I have seen a few of their games. I’ve also been to the occasional Emir’s Cup and Heir Apparent’s Cup, so it’s not like I’ve never seen a game.

Well the new season starts this week so I decided to try to follow the League this year. I signed up to the League’s website, www.qsl.com.qa, and hope to go a game this weekend. The League has a membership for fans where you can get discounts at various shops and restaurants by showing your League card. There’s even levels to it: Standard, Bronze, Silver and Gold, based on the number of games you attend. Tickets aren’t expensive, they seem to range from QAR 10 to 50 depending on the seating.

I’m not expecting packed stadiums with thousands of fans. Typically the stadiums hold around 5-10 thousand but far less than that turn up. I’ll do my part to fill a seat.

We’ll see how this goes.

No comments: