- Picture of Qatar's "Crazy Roundabout"
- Qatar Coronavirus Updates -- Steady Improvement, both Vaccination and Cases
- Mall of Qatar is now open!
- Back From Vacation
- Remember Your Building Number
- 15 Years in Qatar!
- Qatar Coronavirus Updates -- Decreasing Cases, Light on the Horizon
- Qatar Coronavirus Updates -- Over 900 Cases a Day and New Restrictions
- Qatar Coronavirus Updates -- Is Herd Immunity Possible Against Delta?
- Got My First Vaccine Dose!
Saturday, March 04, 2017
A couple of years ago I was walking around the old souq area near Souq Waqif and had noticed that Souq Ahmed bin Ali had been closed down. It was torn down in June 2015 but I didn't keep track of what happened after that.
Well last night I was wandering around the area and noticed that it had been turned into a parking lot -- another new parking lot for Souq Waqif. That’s nice, parking can get tight at the Souq, but there’s one problem with that area. It’s next to the Fanar Mosque so you’d need to cross Grand Hamad Street to get to the Souq. Not an easy task unless you walk 200+ meters down to the traffic light.
But then I saw . . . elevators?
Not only did they build a parking lot, they built a tunnel that went under Grand Hamad street, complete with elevators, escalators, and air conditioning. When the heck did they get this done?!
Nice finishing in the tunnel, looks like they spent a lot of money on it.
So if you’re planning to visit Souq Waqif there is a parking lot next to Fanar that you can use, and then take the tunnel to the Souq.