Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ramadan 2011 is Approaching

We have less than a week till Ramadan so I need to start getting ready. I've created a new category for my blog, "Ramadan", and linked the previous year’s blog posts to it because I found Ramadan last year to be really interesting. Yes, I will be fasting again and I've already started preparations, namely weaning myself off of caffeine. I'm now down to 1 cup of coffee a day.

Expectation is that Ramadan will start August 1 but because it is based on sighting the first light on the moon (i.e. right after the New Moon) it is possible it could start one day before or after August 1. I recall that my first year here it started a day earlier than expected, which caused a bit of anguish as colleagues and I were at a bar to have final drinks before the bars are shut for Ramadan. As soon as I got to the bar Ramadan was announced and hotel staff immediately came in with carts to take all the alcohol away so there was no chance for us to get some drinks. Apparently the hotel only has a couple of hours to lock up the booze before the police come to check to see that the bar has been closed.

Anyway in addition to fasting I plan to do other Ramadan activities such as visiting a mosque and maybe attending a reading of the Qur’an.

_

No comments: