Sunday, January 26, 2020

Taking the Metro to the Airport

So on the weekend I decided to take the Metro to the Airport. Not because I was travelling anywhere, I just wanted to see where the Metro winds up in relation to the airport and how easy it would be to use the Metro with luggage to go to the airport.


You are allowed to bring luggage on the Metro. Some people were confused about whether you could because the Dubai Metro doesn't allow you to (have they changed that rule? It's been years since I've been there.) In the Doha Metro there is space in the cars for luggage.


The trip to the airport is underground, which explains why I never saw a train being tested near the airport.


And as soon as you get past the pay gate there are carts waiting for you to place your luggage on.


You do wind up a distance away from the airport, this picture was taken from ground level, after taking the elevator up to the surface.


But they provide moving walkways for you to use to get you to the airport.


The way is entirely enclosed (thus has A/C) except for this one 20m stretch where you have to cross a road in the short-term parking lot.


After which you're in the airport. I'd say from the train platform to the terminal is about 6-8 minutes of elevators and walking.



All in all it worked fine. Given that it costs QR 2 for a trip on the metro, versus QR 40-80 for a taxi, it's a total deal, unless you are travelling with a lot of luggage.


My only criticism is that at the moment (but I have heard it will change soon) the Metro starts at 6am, and the first train probably arrives at the airport around 6:35am. The busiest time for flights leaving Doha is 6:45am-9:00am, which means the Metro doesn't start early enough for most morning passengers as they should be at the airport 2-3 hours before the flight. The Metro will need to start earlier, I have heard a 5am start may happen soon, but I hope that eventually it starts even earlier.

No comments: