Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Qatar Coronavirus Updates -- Most Cases per Capita in the World

New cases are fluctuating, sometimes 1600ish, sometimes over 2000 a day. 1,901 new cases were announced today for a total of 62,160. Over 2% of the population have been diagnosed with the virus now, a greater % of detected cases than any other country.

Deaths are also occurring at a rate of 2-3 a day. 45 have died so far. It's the age ranges that worry me sometimes, people in their 40s and 50s are succumbing to the virus. It was expected though, because most of the population are working expats deaths would tend to be in the younger age range so be more infrequent than in the West. The death rate is still incredibly low given the number of cases.

The huge spate of recoveries has slowed. It turns out that international protocols changed: instead of releasing someone from quarantine after a series of negative tests, they can be released after 14 days of the first positive test. This resulted in something like 15,000 people being released from quarantine over four days. Now recoveries will mirror how many were diagnosed two weeks ago (today was 1,501). It should take some pressure off of the quarantine facilities at least.

Not really seeing a decline yet. Staying put at home. A friend bought me groceries during one of his shopping runs so I am set for at least six more weeks without needing to leave the apartment.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please share your grocery items that sustain you for 6 weeks. We need a grocery run every 10 days to 2 weeks.

Glen McKay said...

Hmm, maybe I'll do that for a post. But in summary:

Lots of non-perishable food: Oatmeal, rice, pasta, lentils, mixed nuts. Cans and cans of vegetables, tuna, varieties of beans, soups. Loaves of bread in the freezer. Jars of olives. 12 litres of UHT milk.

And I mean lots of the above: dozens and dozens of cans, kilos of carbs. The trunk of my car and the back seat were almost full. I made six trips from my car to my apartment to drop off the groceries.

And some things to change it up a little: tins of corned beef, tins of chili, dates, ramen noodles, pickles, biscuits. Not things I'm eating every day, but once in a while as a treat.

So basically, like the every two-week shopping you might do, only triple, at once.

I also have various vitamins at home, which I take if I didn't get enough of a certain vitamin that day (Vitamin C in particular is difficult with tinned food).