Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Random bits

I was reading a book on Salvador Dali (with lots of pictures of his work) before going to bed last night. Big mistake - I had the weirdest dreams about melting figures and stuff. So make a mental note to yourself: don't read about Dali before sleeping.

French people really do appreciate it when you try to speak to them in French, even if you mess it up somewhat. While in Paris at least three times people complemented me on my French or me trying to use it. How many times have you seen anyone compliment somebody for trying to speak English? So I will make an extra effort to try to learn a bit of the local language when I go travelling (which means I need to brush up more on my Arabic).

Tonight I'm going out with a few people to a local restaurant for a Dosa Festival. Essentially, you sit down and eat lots of Dosas. Sounds good to me! I love crepes. (Not sure about having it with pickles though).

The humidity here has finally started to ramp up, now every time you go outside it feels like stepping into a sauna. It'll probably stay this way until late October. I can't say I enjoy it much as it gets so humid you just don't want to be outside for long. Gotta plan my next getaway, maybe the first week in September.

2 comments:

Magnus said...

Glen can't take the heat, a rare occurance. Now that I have your blog linked, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Glen McKay said...

It is unfortunate that Doha is so far away, as I'd recommend anyone spend a couple of days here in August - if only to experience the heat & humidity of the Arabian desert in summer. It is an experience that is hard to describe. I'm not sure how people managed to live here for so many generations. If I didn't have A/C I'd be outta here in a heartbeat.