Friday, July 06, 2007

You just never know what it's your turn.

A while back the cafe at the compound had a new waiter, Raju, a young guy from (I think) Nepal. The company who runs the restaurant has six locations in various compounds so any new waiters train at my compound's cafe for a month before being reassigned. We chatted a little here and there when I stopped in to get dinner, but I didn't learn too much about him. He was then transferred to another location around the beginning of June.

A week or so ago the waiters at the compound approached me to ask if I wanted to donate to a collection for Raju's family. Apparantly on June 22 he came down with a high fever and passed away! Just like that he was gone.

I couldn't get any more details as to exactly what happened, the best the other waiters could tell me was that he came down with a high fever. Man that just bites.

Things like this make me reflect on how you just never know when you're going to die. We always think it'll be a long way off but I bet poor Raju did as well. So . . . are you living life to the fullest? I don't think I am, I'll have to think about it in a couple of weeks. Today I'm going to a BBQ, tomorrow to a party, and next week I'm off on vacation to Europe, so I guess it's not like I'm just stuck doing nothing all the time. But I will think about this when I get back. How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy every minute of your European vacation. I want to see lots of pictures! Sydney is in Europe right now, too. I envy you both!

--Jacquelyn, who is drowning in tropical rains in Houston

Glen McKay said...

Thanks Jacquelyn. Believe it or not I hope that London and Paris are cool and rainy, I haven't seen rain for months and temps around 20 degrees would be a welcome break from the 40+ degrees here.

Say hi to Robert and Sallie for me!