Friday, May 29, 2009

Hot

Man, it is hot. (Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking, "Really Glen, is it hot in the Arabian desert? Who knew?"). I mean that it is much hotter than usual for this time of year, odd since we had such a mild spring. The newspaper is expecting temperatures to reach 48°C today (118°F), and the temperature has been around that for the last week or so. On the bright side it is not humid so the heat is more bearable than it should be. Still it is not easy getting out and about. My car A/C struggles to keep the temperature tolerable, I still find myself sweating driving around.

Looks like GM might be going bankrupt. Good thing I warned a buddy of mine about that possibility, he was thinking of buying a Hummer earlier this week but I advised that he wait and see how the GM crisis pans out. The Qataris have been telling him to get a Toyota anyway (they love their Land Cruisers) but those are some of the most expensive SUVs here in the Middle East. Probably because they are in such high demand. I have heard a joke that the reason why there is a Japanese embassy here is because of all the business Toyota does with Qataris.

Otherwise things are staying pretty mellow. The Qatar Natural History Group is finished until October, Arabic classes end next week for the summer, and my next vacation is not until the end of July (Paris for a friend's wedding, isn't that cool?). Once the humidity kicks in it will be too hot to even go to Souq Waqif. Looks like a couple of months of reading books, watching DVDs, and wandering around malls.

I've been asked a few times how I can handle the heat, being Canadian and all, and I think the question comes from a misconception that Canada is always cool/cold. Most people are surprised to hear that where I grew up temperatures in the mid-30s were a regular occurrence in the summer. 40°C was rare but has happened. But that was a dry heat so more tolerable than the summer here. Oddly enough I think that the Canadian winters actually helps me tolerate the summer here. Canadians are used to spending three or four months of the year mostly indoors, going from your heated house to your heated car to your heated office/restaurant/mall. It is just like here in the summer only the temperature is reversed, going from your A/C'd house to your A/C'd car/office etc. I think people from temperate climates struggle more with the summer here because they are used to being able to go out any time of the year, so go stir crazy being stuck indoors for a few months. I'm not saying that summer here is fantastic but I tolerate it.

No comments: