Friday, June 19, 2009

Car inspection - part 2

[This post contains outdated information, I recommend going to my post of May 21, 2011 for the most recent information about car inspections]


So after my recently tuned-up car failed inspection I went back to the garage to ask them (1) why one of my brakes didn't pass muster and (2) fix it.

"Oh, we don't do break inspections at this garage.", thanks for letting me know ahead of time!

"You need to go to the main shop. It is in the Industrial Area."
Where? The Industrial Area !?

Crap.

The Industrial Area is a vast area of streets on the western side of the city, and home to many of the labourers. I have heard that its population at any given point in time is around 75,000. It is notorious for being clogged with traffic and having horrible roads with tons of potholes, all of the heavy trucks and industrial equipment that roam the area really wear down the roads. A lot of people avoid going to the Industrial Area if they can help it, and to drive around there after it has rained (so you can't tell how deep the holes are because they are filled with water) is to risk damaging your car. Seriously, I have seen potholes there at least 18 inches deep! I haven't been in the Industrial Area in nearly 2 years.

So here it is six o'clock in the evening on a weekday and I need to go to the Industrial Area. I'm told the garage in the Industrial Area is open until 10 at night but not to bother going there this evening because "they will be booked solid".

So I thanked the guys, got into the car -- and immediately drove out to the Industrial Area. You see, my insurance was going to run out in three days and I had always been told that I can't renew the insurance unless I renew the registration, but I can't renew the registration until I have passed inspection, and I can't pass inspection until I get the problem fixed, so I did not really have a lot of time. I also wanted to get there before it got dark so I can see the potholes in the street.

Sure enough traffic in the industrial area was heavy and there were a few jams in a couple of places, but eventually I got to the garage. And of course the other garage was completely wrong, they were not booked solid, and they could look at my car tonight. Great!

But it will take at least two hours. Crap.

So I waited in their waiting room for two hours, reading their newspapers and watching TV, but to their word after about two hours they were done.

Bad news: I needed a part replaced to get the car up to specs.
Good news: it is covered under the warranty (which expires in four days)
Bad news: they do not have the part and it will take five days to get it here.
Good news: I can still drive the car though

So that means my insurance will have expired by then. Aaaaargh.

Well it has now been nine days and they have not called me to say the part is in. Not to worry, I will call them tomorrow. You see, whenever someone in Qatar says they'll call you when something is ready they rarely ever do. You need to call them. I'm not as concerned as I once was because I also went to the insurance company and got my insurance renewed. Rumour that I could not get my insurance renewed was wrong, I went to the insurance company and a renewed it -- no problem.

That's the other thing about Qatar, don't believe everything you're told about how things work here. Find out for yourself as you might be surprised. That's why I went to the insurance company even though everyone was sure I would not get a renewal/extension.

Now I just need to get the part fixed, get the car reinspected, then go to the Ministry to renew my registration. If there are further complications I will let you know.

4 comments:

motor-vehicles said...

Well, it's always hard to check or repair your car in a foreign county.It's the worst thing it could happen to you, you can easily get scammed.

Glen McKay said...

Not in this case, as it was done by the dealership garage and covered under warranty so I do not have to pay anything. . . or at least I hope I don't, it does not get fixed until Monday.

Anonymous said...

Good luck there !!
Lived there for 2 years !
Was horror !!!
Nothing like the media creates

Glen McKay said...

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. For me living here has had its ups and downs but I'm still here after 3 years.