Monday, July 23, 2012

Ramadan 2012 – Day 4


So dohanews.co published my article about why I fast during Ramadan. They originally wanted about 250-300 words (that’s not much, it wasn’t easy to keep it even to 350) but then later asked if they could add in some items from my “Ramadan 2012 – Day 2” post so the article wound up being a bit longer because it’s a combination of an article and a blog post.

Iftar tonight was a leftover pizza. I went out last night around 11:30 to one of my favorite pizza places (Ciao on Salwa Road) for dinner. I noticed they had a dish I hadn't tried before “Focaccia Tri Colere” (sp?) so I ordered that as an appetizer along with a pizza. The Focaccia turned out to be way bigger than I expected, and my stomach was definitely a bit smaller than usual, so by the time I finished the Focaccia I was full. It was too late to cancel the pizza so I just had it boxed up for take-away.

After dinner I drove around a bit to see the neighborhood as it had been a while since I'd been out there. Traffic was pretty heavy considering it was 12:30 in the morning. Then again some of my Qatari friends apparently don't go to bed until 4:30 or 5:00am so it shouldn't be too surprising the city is still busy that late.

Plans for this evening fell through so I did some grocery shopping. The traffic on the roads was really light around 7:30pm so getting to the grocery store was easy. By around 8:20pm traffic and parking etc. had started to pick up and it was a bit more of a pain getting back home. Try to get out before 8:00 to beat the rush everyone!

Speaking of traffic I forgot to mention that while the morning commute was really smooth the traffic gets congested in West Bay around 12:30 to 1:30 as all of the Ministries and many other offices close. It clears up by 2:00.



-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hadith(s) of the Day.


Three Hadiths, one theme -- On selling dates and other fruits


Jabir bin Abdullah narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) prohibited selling unweighed dates or dates of unknown measure. (Sahih Muslim, The Book of Bartering)


Jabir narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) forbade the selling of fruits until they ripen. (Sahih Muslim, The Book of Bartering)


Ibn ‘Umar narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) forbade the sale of dates until they turn yellow or reddish and become fit for eating and also the sale of crops until its grain hardens. (Sahih Muslim, The Book of Bartering)

2 comments:

Paul said...

Glen, just discovered your Blog through Doha News and enjoy it very much. Refreshing to see a non-Muslim with such an open view on Muslim life and Islam. You may be interested in attending Iftar for Non-Muslims being arranged by Fanar Centre:
Fanar: July 26th
Katara: August 3rd
Fanar: August 10th

Please call 44250234 or email culture @fanar.gov.qa to reserve your places now!

Insha Allah you will keep up your Fasting through Ramadan and continue your posts to share your experiences with others. PaulRB-Doha.

sasa said...

where is day 5??