Monday, June 06, 2016

Ramadan 2016, Day 1 - Fasting

I woke up at 3am, ate my meal on the nightstand, then went back to sleep until 7:30am. For a Muslim after eating they would then go to prayer, which means they wouldn't be back to bed until sometime after 4am. At least two of my work colleagues told me that they couldn't get to sleep after that so they hadn't slept since 3am. I wondered if Muslims would be used to the change to Ramadan but it appears it's not just me who struggles initially with changing your sleeping and eating patterns. Some people at work were absolutely exhausted.

Thankfully I work indoors so did not have to deal with the heat. I was fine up until noon or so when the tiredness and thirst started to hit. You can feel your mind start to go a bit numb and tasks requiring complex thought are a bit of a struggle. Surprisingly I didn't get hungry, in the past I recall that around lunch time my stomach would kick in and start growling for lunch but this time nothing happened.

During Ramadan my office closes at 2 so I went home, busied myself with some chores, then went to have a nap. My plan was to go to the Ramadan cannon for the first announcement of the end of fasting but I woke up after 2 hours, about 20 minutes before the fast was to end! Dang it, I'm clearly going to have to set an alarm for my afternoon nap.

Surprisingly I wasn't starving, and didn't really feel hungry or thirsty, just a bit tired. I went to the kitchen and prepared a quick iftar meal: dates, olives, a small bowl of oatmeal, 2 glasses of water, and a handful of nuts.

I didn't experience any headaches today so I successfully kicked the caffeine in time. Now I just need to be careful about drinking too much coffee at night.

After posting this I will head out, distract myself with some mall walking, then head over to a friend's majlis for sohour. I have to get out of my apartment so that I don't snack on things, I suspect the sohour will be a big meal.


Day 1 of fasting went well, probably easier than in the past.

No comments: