Sunday, June 19, 2016

Ramadan 2016, Day 13 – Canadian Labneh


Labneh is a strained yogurt that I believe originated in Turkey. Every Friday morning I would meet a friend of mine for breakfast and the meal always came with labneh, with which he’d put a bit of zaatar and drizzled with honey. Because I try to minimize sugar in my diet I was always having it without the honey. I tried it with honey one day though and sure enough it was really good.

For Ramadan I picked up some labneh to have with iftar but I decided to Canadianize it with some maple syrup:



It’s amazing! Try it when you get the chance. No, you can’t have mine.




Tonight is Garangao, a celebration on the 14th night of Ramadan where Qatari children wear traditional clothes and go door to door singing a Garangao song and people then give them sweets and nuts. Nowadays going door-to-door is not very practical (too hot, homes are far apart, reckless drivers) and many places in Qatar have Garangao activities. I plan to go to the one at Katara and take some photos. I’ll post them tomorrow.


No comments: