Sunday, April 26, 2020

Qatar Coronavirus Update -- Over 10,000 Cases Now


Last post I mentioned that Qatar was now identifying over 600 cases a day. Then it became over 700 . . . then 800. Today the Ministry of Health reported 929 new cases, bringing the total number of cases to 10,287.

No one has died in the last three days thankfully, and now 70-100 are recovering each day. I do expect the number of deaths to increase soon. Based on a 0.2% mortality rate for 10,000 cases there would be 19-23 deaths, Qatar is currently at 10. But it takes time for the virus to take its toll, the last poor soul who died was in hospital for a month before succumbing. A spike in deaths likely won't occur for at least two weeks.

The number of cases is truly worrying. We know that in most Western countries there is underreporting due to lack of testing or only testing people who are ill, but based on the reported numbers, on a per capita basis, Qatar has more cases than Italy. Or Switzerland. Or the US. Or France. (Not as many as Spain though).

Aside from a complete and total lockdown for weeks I don't think there is much more the Qatari Government can do. Most businesses are already shut, people are working from home, people can't enter the country except Qataris who are automatically quarantined for two weeks. The country just has to keep up with the aggressive testing of people in contact with known cases and try to stay on top of things until this starts to subside.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Naturally this was the one day that I had to finally leave the apartment.

Work needed to make some upgrades on my laptop so I had to bring it in. Since I was low on groceries I figured I may as well combine this with a trip to the grocery store, my first outing in something like 35 days.

I chose a store I thought would not be too busy and figured morning would be the quietest time at the store. I brought a mask with me (as Qatar now requires them to enter grocery stores) and was there at 9:30. A man was there wiping down the carts with disinfectant, and to enter the store you first had to stand in front of a thermal camera to check your temperature. I was correct in that it wasn't that busy so it was easy to get around without getting too close to people. I think I bought enough non-perishable food to last me for six weeks.

During the drive I couldn't believe how many signs there were telling people to stay home. In the office building the same thing, and the elevators had signs for things you should do after returning home to reduce the virus risk (leaving your outer clothes by the door, immediately showering etc.) After getting the laptop upgraded at work I went back home, left all of the groceries by the door, left my outer clothing by the door, washed my hands, then my face, then my hands again, then had a shower, threw any towel I touched in the washing machine, washed my hands again, then mopped the floor near my front door with strong disinfectant. I have enough food for a while so I am not even going to touch the new groceries for at least four or five days, which should be enough to kill any virus particles that might be on the bags or the food. I'm not going to touch the discarded clothes either, those can sit there for the next two weeks for all I care.

So I think I'm good for a while, I shouldn't need to leave my apartment for at least six weeks. Unfortunately I will be anxious for the next two weeks -- any sniffle, tiredness, or feeling hot and I'll probably be wondering, "Is this it? Did I catch it?". I think the odds are slim based on the precautions that I took, but I did go outside thus going from 0% chance of catching it to a slim chance. And this while over 900 cases a day are being detected.


Hopefully things get better soon and this is the peak.


No comments: