Monday, April 20, 2020

Qatar Coronavirus Update -- Virus Cases Are Growing, and Ramadan is Approaching


Things continue to be quite worrisome here, each day the Ministry of Health announces another 300-500+ cases. Today had 567 cases, sadly a new record. The total number is 6,015 now. Thankfully only nine people have died so far.

In terms of cases per million people Qatar is, if we exclude tiny countries like San Marino or Luxembourg, now in the top-10 in the world. Not good. One friend told me that part of the reason is that the Government got new & more accurate testing kits, and have stepped up testing people who have been in contact with a confirmed case. Workers dormitories are likely a major source of spread. Reports from Saudi Arabia and Singapore have also pointed to a large increase in cases due to the crowded living conditions in apartments and dorms where low-income workers live. Not all the cases are low-income workers though, the Ministry said there's been some spread amongst families as well. The death toll is really low right now but it will surely rise soon.

The number of people recovering each day is still around 20-50. I noted in my blog post on the 14th that I expected the number to remain steady or low because the big wave of cases started maybe two weeks ago so it will take time before people in that wave start to recover. But when you get 300-600 new cases each day and only 20-50 are recovering that means additional strain on the healthcare system. The Government has been saying there is a way to go yet and Qatar might not be at the peak.

I was thinking of going for groceries this week but I've decided to wait. I have plenty of food but not necessarily enough for a balanced diet. I have multi-vitamins that I can take if need be and on that basis I can stay put for at least another three weeks.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


With all of the news about coronavirus I completely forgot that Ramadan is approaching! It should start this Thursday or Friday. I will fast again this year like I've done for the last eight years or so but this might be the most difficult fast yet. In the past my strategy to not eat was two-fold: do not be in the apartment, and distract myself. So weekdays were easier than weekends, during the weekday I would go to the office to work so I had something to do to take my mind off of food. Weekends I had to come up with something to get me out of the apartment and away from food. Sometimes I would literally mall walk (everything would be shut except the grocery store so you could still walk around). It's too hot to be wandering outside much during the day. I would also eat a small iftar then leave the apartment otherwise I'd keep eating.

Well it's still too hot to walk around outside, not good if you can't drink anything until sunset, and I'm too nervous to wander around where people will be so it looks like I'll somehow have to fast all day while literally sitting feet away from food and water. This will be TOUGH.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Today's distraction: the YouTube channel 'Italia Squisita'. Italian chefs react to the most popular videos of people making the chef's signature regional dishes (hint: everyone gets it wrong, and everyone likes to use garlic even though most Italian dishes don't use it). The reactions are great. Then there are videos where the chefs show you how to make the dish 'properly'. Bolognese sauce, pesto, al fredo, pizza, it's all there. Watching it makes me hungry though.

No comments: