Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Computers and Health

I'm getting really fed up with the computer access at my compound. Not only has it been very slow in the last month or so but it will time out about every 20 seconds, making accessing web pages a real chore -- and forget uploading anything. I have had my Czech Republic e-album ready for almost a month now and I can't upload it! (No I can't even stay late at work to do it there, the office network blocks photo sharing sites) It is starting to drive me nuts. Another person at the compound told me he spoke to management about the Internet access and management doesn't seem that bothered with it. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.


Health-wise the knees are still a problem. Patella chrondromalacia (runner's knee) apparently takes a long time to get better and I guess I rushed it because after two months of ups and downs I now think I am back to square one. I have a doctor's appointment this Thursday afternoon so hopefully I can get back on track -- and rule out that it is not some other affliction. I will probably need another round of physiotherapy sessions. According to some of my Internet research it may take a good two months or more to get better.

What is really annoying is that even driving a car irritates it, I think due to all the lifting of the leg and moving it around between the gas and the brake. That means that not only is walking a potential problem but also driving. Also, one of the symptoms of runner's knee is if you have pain or irritation in the knees from activities such as sitting at a desk for a long period of time. Why in the world that would be irritating I don't know, maybe the knees don't like to be in the sitting position for long periods of time? I agree though -- I do not recall my knees ever feeling better after a day at the office (sometimes they do not feel any worse, but they are never better). My knees usually are at their best in the morning after I wake up so obviously laying in bed is pretty good for them. I will ask the doctor about that.

The hands (repetitive strain injury) are generally okay though. Using a tablet instead of a mouse, and having speech recognition software, has been a real saviour. I doubt I would have been able to work in the office anymore without them.

It sometimes depresses me that in the last few years I have been getting a lot of long-term/chronic illnesses. Tennis elbow (2 months to heal), repetitive strain injury (will never fully heal), bronchitis (1month+), and now this. Why can't I get those simple injury/illnesses that go away in a few days? I'm not even 40 yet, so I'm now starting to get a little concerned about what I'll be like when I'm retirement age. Gack!