Saturday, January 31, 2009

Christmas in January

Looking back through my blog I realise that it just briefly touched on why I go to Canada in January (and that blog post was 2 years ago). Well about five years ago when I was working in Bermuda I was unable to get time off for the Christmas holidays -- it was my turn to be at the office while everyone else went away for the holidays. When I informed my mother that I was not going to be able to make it for Christmas she said "Well then we will just have Christmas when you can make it." And so arrangements were made for the family to meet in mid-January for Christmas. And you know what -- we liked it so much we've done it every year since!

Why was Christmas in January such a big hit?

• Airfares were cheaper
• airports aren't the crowded zoo they are during the holidays
• it was easy for everyone in the family to get time off work
• the malls are not crowded and have tons of sales
• my brother and his wife no longer had to worry about whose family they would spend Christmas day with. (hers on Dec 25th, his in mid-January)

And when I mean we have Christmas in January I mean we do the whole holiday tradition: tree, presents, turkey dinner, the whole 9 yards. It's nice, I really enjoy it. That we do not have Christmas on December 25 doesn't really phaze me at all. I think this year it was on January 22.

Merry belated Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Glen, Was nice to read that you had a good visit with your family. As a mom I can understand how important it is to your mom to have Christmas when all the family can be together. January sales are a bonus for Christmas in January.
My e-mail address is
kjwc21@gmail.com
Take Care and I will be checking back in to see how things are going for you. Karen

Glen McKay said...

email sent.

Anonymous said...

*hee hee* It's Feb 11th and your sister still has her little Christmas tree up :D

It is the Christmas that never ends! It just goes on and on my friend!