Friday, March 30, 2012

The Park at the Museum of Islamic Art



It’s Friday morning, when almost everything is closed, so I decided to go for a long walk to get some exercise. It was cloudy today, unusual for this time of year, and to pass the time I figured I would take advantage of the lack of Sun and go to the park that recently opened at the Museum of Islamic Art. I remember reading about it opening in the newspaper a while ago but I hadn't visited it yet.

I walked down to the Corniche and headed toward the Museum. There were plenty of people along the Corniche either jogging, walking around, or sitting on the grass enjoying the day. When I reached the park I was pretty impressed with what they had set up:

Large grassy areas




Fountains




A big playground (families only please)




A cool trampoline for kids





Even some artwork




I eventually came across a couple of buildings embedded in some hills, one was a café and the other was for waffles and ice cream. I chilled out with a cappuccino and enjoyed the view.







Y’know, Qatar has really developed in the six years I've been here. Before there wasn't a lot: no Pearl, Katara, Souq Waqif, Museum, Aspire Zone, 2/3 of the hotels, ½ the parks, even ½ of the city itself. A buddy of mine who worked here for a few months about five years ago stopped by for a few days and couldn't believe how much had changed. Sometimes I can't believe it either -- and the changes keep coming. Now I have a nice park nearby, an even nicer one about a 20 minute walk away, and Souq Waqif within an easy stroll of my apartment. Streets are crowded (sometimes too crowded) and people now seem to be doing things instead of wondering what to do.

It's taken time but I think Doha is really starting to feel like a city.


4 comments:

scaryazeri said...

I have only recently been to that cafe and was telling everyone how cool it was! What a great spot, isnt it. And the chairs...and the crossaints were definitely the best i have had in doha, no doubt.

scaryazeri said...

I have only recently been to that cafe and was telling everyone how cool it was! What a great spot, isnt it. And the chairs...and the crossaints were definitely the best i have had in doha, no doubt.

Mo Mughrabi said...

Hi Glen, my name is Mo and am a founder of a new project which is launched to target Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait, I've been going through the web in search for bloggers interested to review it..

If you are, please send me your contact details and in return i will send you full description

Glen McKay said...

scaryazeri -- yes I thought the park was really nice. Going back tomorrow with some friends.

Mo -- Thank you for the offer but I am not interested.