Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Return of Winter and Gifts from the Sultan



Did I say in my previous post that winter had ended? Looks like I really jinxed it there, last night a huge sandstorm whipped up along with chilly winds from the north. While on Friday I was basking in temperatures in the high 20s today I think the high reached 18°. Ironically many parts of Canada are going through a record-breaking warm spell and were warmer than Doha! Bizarre. Canada is warmer that the Arabian Peninsula -- in winter!

Murphy's Law also arrived with a vengeance; the one time I decide to open the window to get some fresh air, and leave it open while I go to a friend’s place, would be the evening a sandstorm arrives. (Bonus points for Murphy -- the cleaner was by earlier that day).

The sandstorm is expected to last in the area for a few days. Good thing this evening I didn't have to stay outside. The Museum of Islamic Art was opening its new exhibit, Gifts from the Sultan, and I had received an invitation so I joined a few hundred people for the opening. It was a great reception with excellent catering and a string quintet. The exhibit had had fantastic pieces of textiles, jewelry, porcelain etc. that had been given by the Ottoman Sultans, Mughul Emperors, or Persian Shahs to various diplomats or kings/tsars over the centuries. Because it was gifts from royalty the items were of course of the finest quality that could be produced in its time. I wandered around the exhibits for a little over an hour before heading home. It was difficult to see everything because of the crowds but that's okay, I'll go see the exhibit some time in the next month and probably bring a few friends.

1 comment:

Malte Zeeck said...

Hello there! My name is Malte Zeeck, and I am with InterNations.org. I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog! I think expats in Qatar and around the world could really gain some great insights from this page. The quality of the blog in general is very convincing, which is why I would love to feature you and your writing on the Recommended Blog on Qatar section on InterNations.org
Not only do we feature and link to your blog prominently; we also would like to hear from you directly in our questionnaire! We have also designed a link badge for your blog.
If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email: maltezeeck@internations.org

Best,
Malte Zeeck