Friday, August 03, 2012

Ramadan 2012 - Day 14


The night before I met up with a friend to play squash. It always amuses me that during Ramadan you meet up with people at 10 or 11 at night play sports but what can you do? There's no way to exercise during the day when you can't drink water. I don't think in the West you'd find at 11pm on a weekday the Squash Centre booked solid.

Last night I had a small Iftar then headed down to Katara and stopped by one of the galleries there that was showing an exhibition titled "Olympics through Media". It had it displays going through every Olympics since 1896 and the various developments in photography and television technology that occurred with them, as well as some displays of pamphlets, medals etc. from those games.







Overall I suppose I found it too small. Each Olympics essentially had one panel with a few paragraphs and displays of some photos or short film and a small display of memorabilia. It was interesting enough but I kind of expected more. Some of the old cameras were pretty cool but I'm not a connoisseur so I wasn't sure how rare or valuable the cameras were.

There was another reason why I was at Katara but I'll get to that in my next post.

Afterward it was off to the new St. Regis Hotel, where a company was hosting a sohour at 10pm (which really would make it more of a ghabga than a sohour but I digress).




This is why I had a small Iftar because I knew this would be a big buffet dinner. I think the hotel did a pretty good job and while there was plenty of food it didn't go over-the-top so hopefully there wasn't a lot of wastage. They also had an omelette station, which some people got a bit odd -- breakfast food at 10pm? Well, I figure for many Muslims this would be their first major meal of the day so why not? I had an omelette.


I find that my sleep schedule is getting more and more out-of-whack. The naps are getting longer which makes it harder to go to bed at night. I now find my afternoon naps going around two and half hours and then at 1am I can't sleep – I just lay in bed. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if I didn't have to get up at 6:30am to go to work! Now that it's the weekend I was able to sleep as late as I wanted to, which turned out to be 10:30am. I'll try to only have a short nap today and get my sleep schedule back on track.


------------------------------------------------

Hadith of the Day

Don’t drink alcohol . . .

‘Aishah narrated: the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) was asked about Al-Bit [which I assume is some type of drink], he said: "All drinks that intoxicate are haram (unlawful to drink)." (Sahih Muslim, the Book of Drinks)

Ibn ‘Umar narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "He who drinks liquor in the world and does not repent from it, will not drink in the next world unless he repents." (Sahih Muslim, the Book of Drinks)

Anas bin Malik reported: I was serving Abu Talhah, Abu Dujanah, Mu’adh bin Jabal, and people of Ansar with a drink prepared from ripe and unripe dates. Then somebody came to them and said: "News has come, liquor is prohibited." (On hearing that) we drained it the same day. (Sahih Muslim, the Book of Drinks)

Anas reported: the Prophet (peace be upon him) was asked about the use of liquor from which vinegar is prepared. He said: "No (it is prohibited)." (Sahih Muslim, the Book of Drinks)

Wa’il Al-Hadrami reported: Tariq bin Suwaid Al-Ju’fi asked the Prophet (peace be upon him) about liquor. He forbade its use and he expressed hatred that it should be prepared. Tariq said: "I prepare it as a medicine." The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "It is not medicine, but an ailment." (Sahih Muslim, the Book of Drinks)

No comments: