Saturday, April 04, 2009

Parents

Today I went to visit some friends to see their new baby daughter. The baby is a little over two weeks old and while she is a happy baby her parents are exhausted (no surprise there I'm sure). It can take hours to get her to sleep and even then she will usually sleep only two to three hours before she is up again for milk etc. Mom and Dad are tired and try to catch naps when they can.

It got me thinking about what my parents must have gone through when my siblings and I were born. My parents were probably a bit fortunate when my older brother was born because at the time my parents lived in the same city as an aunt and my paternal grandparents so at least there was family support available to help them out. But by the time I was born my family had moved to Canada and I believe the nearest relatives were a 6+ hour drive away. So unless some friends were helping out they were on their own. Mom and Dad had to endure some sleepless nights while at the same time keeping a house in order, raising my four-year-old brother, and working (Dad during the weekdays, Mom on the weekends). Given how exhausted my friends are I wonder how my Mom and Dad coped with it all. Heck, I wonder how any parents manage.

So for all of you reading this, especially if you have young children, maybe take the time out to give your parents something that they have probably always wanted: a "Thank You".

And I don't mean the usual stuff that we do for Mother/Father's Day, where we get our parents a card and small gift and maybe take them out for dinner. If you feel that your parents did a decent job raising you when you were a young child get in touch with them and give them your heartfelt thanks for all the sleepless nights, diaper changes, and other hassles they must have gone through. It's the least you can do.



(Thanks Mom! You did great. Really.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow ! Glen, Good to have you back. That last paragraph said a lot. Your mom must be a wonderful lady. She raised a very insightful son. I kinda knew that anyway after meeting you.

Glen McKay said...

Well Thanks Karen. Sorry I haven't been able to respond to your comments for the last while -- flu plus Mom's visit took me out of blogging action for weeks.